Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates of the following headlines?

Canada announces cut in immigration to address pandemic-driven strains

POSTED ON October 25, 2024 •   Politics      BY Benedicta Bassey
Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau / Photo credit: AP News

Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada will significantly reduce its immigration intake in the coming years, to address issues triggered by pandemic.

Canada is set to now admit 395,000 new permanent residents in 2025, down 21 percent from last year’s target of 500,000.

That figure would decrease further to 380,000 in 2026 and 365,000 in 2027.

This move will birth limits to temporary residents, such as international students and foreign workers, with a projected reduction of nearly 450,000 by 2025.

Trudeau who spoke in a news conference said the country’s ambitious immigration agenda, originally aimed at addressing labour shortages and fostering population growth, had not achieved the “right balance.”

He stated, “Our immigration system has always been responsible and flexible. But in trying to meet labour needs and sustain population growth, we didn’t get the balance quite right.”

Since his election in 2015, Trudeau has championed rising immigration rates, with a record-setting target in 2022 to address pandemic-driven labour shortages.

This approach has set Canada apart from other nations where immigration remains politically contentious, particularly in the United States, where Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has criticised immigration policies, and across Europe, where anti-immigrant sentiments have fuelled far-right political victories.

The move has raised reactions with the Bank of Montreal’s director of economics, Robert Kavcic, saying that the reduced immigration targets would ease pressure on the economy and infrastructure, “especially in the housing sector,” where rapid population growth has driven demand beyond supply.

However, more than 100 civil society groups, including several of Canada’s largest labour unions, criticised the government’s decision.

 In a letter, they stated, “This government was elected on a pro-immigration platform and promised permanent resident status for migrant workers, students, and undocumented people. Not delivering on them will be remembered at the ballot box.”

The policy change comes as public opinion in Canada shifts against higher immigration levels, driven by concerns over housing costs, health-care access, and infrastructure strains.

A recent poll by the Environics Institute showed that nearly 60 percent of Canadians believe there is “too much immigration”—the highest in 25 years.

“The balance of public opinion on immigration has effectively flipped from being acceptable to problematic,” the pollster said.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce also expressed disappointment over the revised immigration targets, highlighting that immigration is “a key driver of economic growth.”

Diana Palmerin-Velasco, a senior director at the chamber, commented, “The future of Canada depends on getting immigration right. We can do better.”

Immigration Minister Marc Miller defended the government’s decision, acknowledging that “the volume of migration has contributed to affordability challenges.”

He cautioned against blaming immigrants for housing or economic issues.

“It is easy to blame immigrants for everything,” Miller said, adding that housing supply issues also stem from broader policy challenges, many of which fall under provincial or local jurisdictions.

 

 

Israeli airstrike killed three journalist in Lebanon

An Israeli airstrike hit a compound that housed journalists in south-eastern Lebanon, resulting in the death of three media personnel, the Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency on Friday said.

Footage aired by local station Al Jadeed captured the aftermath at the site, where a series of chalets rented by various media outlets had been devastated, with debris and cars labelled PRESS engulfed in dust.

According to the report, the Israeli army did not provide any warning of evacuation before the attack.

The pan-Arab Al-Mayadeen TV, based in Beirut, confirmed that two of its employees—camera operator Ghassan Najar and broadcast technician Mohammed Rida—were among those killed in the early hours of Friday.

Additionally, Al-Manar TV, affiliated with Hezbollah, reported the death of its camera operator, Wissam Qassim, in the strike in the Hasbaya region.

Ali Shoeib, a prominent correspondent for Al-Manar in southern Lebanon, was filmed expressing his grief over the loss of his camera operator, who had worked alongside him for several months.

In the video, aired on Al-Manar TV, Shoeib stated that the Israeli military was aware that journalists from various media organisations were present in the targeted area.

“We were reporting the news and showing the suffering of the victims and now we are the news and the victims of Israel’s crimes,” he remarked.

Earlier this week, an office belonging to Al-Mayadeen was struck on the outskirts of Beirut’s southern suburbs, according to Lebanon’s Health Ministry.

Since the outbreak of hostilities along the Lebanon-Israel border in early October last year, several journalists have lost their lives.

READ ALSO
Kano praises Emir Sanusi II’s leadership qualities in reinstatement ceremony
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 2, 2025 0

KANO, Nigeria - Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has stated that his government reinstated Khalifa Muhammad...

READ ALSO
APC caution Cross River members against unauthorize legal suits
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 1, 2025 0

RIVERS, Nigeria - The cross Rivers chapter of the All Progressives Congress has wa...

READ ALSO
SERAP urges withdrawal of bill targeting Non-Voters in Nigeria
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara March 31, 2025 0

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has appealed to Senate President Godswi...

READ ALSO
Amid doubts and challenges,Tinubu celebrates 73rd birthday with gratitude to Nigerians
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara March 30, 2025 0

President Bola Tinubu shared that he nearly abandoned his presidential ambitions for 2023 due to a m...

READ ALSO
Senate set to prioritize Tinubu’s Tax Reform Bills after recess
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara March 30, 2025 0

The Senate is poised to prioritize the evaluation and approval of President Bola Tinubu’s tax...

READ ALSO
Proposed Age Limit Sparks Outcry Among Political Parties
BY Suleiman Jimoh March 28, 2025 0

In a move that has ignited widespread criticism and debate, Nigeria's House of Representatives recen...

READ ALSO
Nigeria, Canada forge new Aviation ties with bilateral Air services agreement
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara March 26, 2025 0

ABUJA, Nigeria - In a notable achievement for the aviation sector, the Minister of Aviation and Aero...

READ ALSO
FG sets August deadline for irregular migrants to regularize status
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara March 26, 2025 0

ABUJA, Nigeria - The Federal Government has revealed its intention to enforce stricter measures agai...

OUR CHANNELS:

Lagos faces severe traffic chaos as Independence Bridge repairs begin after Sallah holiday
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

LAGOS, NIGERIA - Lagos residents faced a challenging situation yesterday as they returned to work fo...


FG signs $174.6M agreement with UNIDO to enhance Nigeria's industry
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

The Federal Government and the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) have enter...


U.S. shows highest anxiety over AI Job loss amidst technological advancements
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

Despite its advanced status, research indicates that the United States of America (USA) has the high...


Bayelsa communities threaten to halt oil production over security contract dispute
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

BAYELSA, Nigeria - Nigeria’s struggling oil output may be on the brink of another crisis as co...


NITDA Partners Afrovision technologies to bridge job gap for Nigeria’s Tech Talent
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

In an effort to tackle the ongoing challenge of job placement for Nigeria’s expanding tech tal...


Falana advocates for accountability and rule of law
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

Human rights Lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), has called on Nigerians to seek accountability from their le...


FG signals tough stance on underdeveloped Oilfields, calls for strategic IOC investments
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

The Federal Government expressed its worries on Tuesday about the growing number of idle and underde...


OpenAI valuation hits $300 billion after SoftBank-led fund
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

The Japanese telecommunications company, alongside a group of investors, has recently announced yet...


Fuel prices expect to fall below N750 by Year-End - NIPSS
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 3, 2025 0

The National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) has said that with Dangote Refinery...


Nigeria imposes N20m fine, 10-Year Jail Term for Ponzi scheme offenders
BY Abiodun Saheed Omodara April 2, 2025 0

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has stated that promoters and operators of Ponzi scheme...


More Articles

Load more...

Menu