Despite a ceasefire intended to allow civilians to leave, air strikes have pummeled Khartoum, the capital of Sudan.
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF), the army’s paramilitary adversaries, were being chased out of the city, the army claimed.
Even when the warring parties announced they would prolong the ceasefire by a further three days, the violence got worse.
The actual number of casualties is thought to be substantially higher than the stated 500 dead. Many people are still stranded in Khartoum.
Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the commander of the army, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, often known as Hemedti, the head of the RSF, are competing for control. They clash particularly over proposals to integrate the RSF into the army.
Following intensive diplomatic efforts by neighboring nations, the US, UK, and UN, the generals decided on a humanitarian ceasefire. Despite being extended, it failed to hold.
According to the army, it is yet unclear what they will do in the following phase of the agreement reached with US and Saudi mediation.
The army claimed it had launched operations against RSF troops north of the city center before Sunday’s announcement of the extension.
One of those unable to evacuate is Hamid Khalafallah from the Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy.
“When there is a very loud bombing and it gets closer, we take cover in the house, try to all congregate in a central room, far from windows, far from walls, and so on, and just lay on the floor until it passes,” the woman said.
“When it’s a little further, we attempt to take advantage of the few hours of daily calm time to quickly go out and grab what we need, which is also quite risky but is necessary.
The nation has received its first significant relief flight, loaded with medical supplies.
According to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a plane carrying eight tonnes of relief materials, including medical kit supplies for hospitals, landed at Port Sudan.
“In order to send essential equipment to medical institutions in areas where violence is taking place, like Khartoum, the ICRC will need assurances of safe passage from the parties to the war,” a statement said.
The conflict that started on April 15 has caused the closure of more than 70% of the hospitals in the capital.
Paul Adams, a BBC diplomatic correspondent who is covering the situation from Nairobi, Kenya, predicts that it will be challenging for the army to drive out the RSF from Khartoum.
Despite the army’s overwhelming firepower, our correspondent notes that the RSF are highly mobile and better adapted to urban warfare.
In the midst of the pandemonium, foreign nations have been evacuating their citizens.
Two days after stating that its operation to evacuate British people had come to a conclusion, the UK government stated on Sunday that it will organize one final evacuation flight on Monday. Those who wanted to evacuate were advised by the Foreign Office (FCDO) to get to the Port Sudan evacuation station by 12:00 (10:00 GMT). According to the FCDO statement, 2,122 persons have been evacuated thus far.
More US citizens will be evacuated by ship to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia by a convoy organized by the US that has arrived in Port Sudan. In addition to the diplomats who were evacuated by plane a week ago, it claimed that hundreds of Americans had already fled.
Former Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok issued a warning on Saturday that the crisis would worsen and rival that in Libya and Syria. These wars have resulted in tens of thousands of fatalities and instability in surrounding areas.
Speaking in Nairobi, he said: “I think it will be a nightmare for the world. This is not a war between an army and small rebellion. It is almost like two armies.”