Both Bayern Munich and Manchester United will be playing for the win tonight in their Champions League matchup.
The 1999 Champions League final at Camp Nou was one of the biggest collections of epic clashes, and the Red Devils prevailed by scoring two late goals from former manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, allowing them to win a record-breaking treble, per Pulse sports.
Since then, however, the Bavarians have had more success in the series, with Munich’s team winning four times and losing once to Manchester United. The teams, however drew three times.
They are in the same group in the UCL tournament this year, and history suggests that Bayern Munich will maintain their supremacy over their English opponents.
The following are three potential advantages each team has:
3 Reasons Why Bayern Munich Could Win
- Strong Attack: Bayern Munich boasts a strong attacking lineup, with the likes of Harry Kane and Leroy Sane leading the charge. They will be looking to exploit Manchester United’s defense and score early goals.
- Experience: Bayern Munich has a wealth of experience in the Champions League, having won the competition six times, while the Red Devils have only won three. They know what it takes to win at this level and will be looking to use that experience to their advantage.
- Home Advantage: Bayern Munich will be playing at home, which could give them an edge over Manchester United. The Allianz Arena is a difficult place to play, and the home crowd will be behind Bayern Munich.
3 Reasons Why Manchester United Could Win
- Strong Defense: Typically, Manchester United has a strong defense, with the likes of Rafael Varane and Harry Maguire leading the backline. They will be looking to keep Bayern Munich’s attacking players at bay and prevent them from scoring. However, the club is hit with absent defenders on several reasons, including Varane, Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia, Mason Mount, and Wan Bissaka on injury.
- Counter-Attacking: Manchester United is known for their counter-attacking style of play, which could be effective against Bayern Munich. They will be looking to hit Bayern Munich on the break and score goals on the counter, especially now that the club has a fan-favourite young striker, Rasmus Holjund.
- Motivation: Manchester United will be highly motivated to win this match, as they are currently languishing in 19th place in the Champions League power rankings. They will be looking to prove their critics wrong and secure a much-needed win.
Rocketparrot reports it’s clear Bayern Munich will win despite both teams’ unique styles of play and good performances.
Manchester United is now facing some significant issues. Erik ten Hag is struggling without Antony and Jadon Sancho, two of his wide forwards. The former is involved in legal trouble, and the latter has been punished for an angry tweet by being assigned to train with the subsidiary.
Moreover, the Red Devils are missing four defensive players right now because of injuries, including three who would have started in a normal game.
They’ve had a dismal defensive season thus far, allowing 10 goals through their first five games. That works out to an average of two goals allowed per game.
The 3-1 loss to Brighton was likely the poorest defensive performance before facing what has been one of the league’s most merciless offensive teams in recent seasons.
Bayern Munich, on the other hand, has never lost to the Manchester club despite playing them five times at home in the Bavarian capital.
The three-time UCL champions were defeated at home in three of their four triumphs.
With these, it is predicted that the Bavarians will defeat the Red Devils at Allianz Arena.